LEVITRA 60mg is a medicine which belongs to the category of Phosphodiesterase inhibitors (PDE5). It is employed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. It has to be used only by the males having erectile dysfunctions. Its use is highly prohibited as a stimulant. It should not be taken by the males having normal erection
LEVITRA 60mg is an oral medicine for the treatment of Erectile Dysfunction (ED). ED is a familiar cause of impotency among the males of the age group of 30 to 60 years. It contains verdenafil which is a Phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE 5) inhibitor as the active constituent. It has a long lasting effect of 10 hours. LEVITRA tablets are available in various strengths. It should be administered 25 minutes before sexual activity. It is not having any aphrodisiac (sex stimulant) activity and also it does not provide any protection against sexually transmitted disease. It has to be taken only when required.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is the inability to retain rigidity of penis high enough for successful sexual intercourse.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Verdenafil treats erectile dysfunction by acting as inhibitor of an enzyme named “Phosphodiesterase 5” (PDE5). PDE 5 degrades cGMP present in the erectile tissue of the penis, vascular endothelium (walls of blood vessels) and retina (eyes). When the man is sexually stimulated, nitric oxide is released by the nerve ending which in turn trigger production of cGMP resulting in relaxation of vascular smooth muscles and improved blood flow to various tissues of the body. LEVITRA augments the concentration of cGMP in tissues by inhibiting PDE5. Increased cGMP cause vasodilation of the blood vessels of the penis resulting in erection.
LEVITRA is used to treat impotency in males by treating the erectile dysfunction. It is a prescription drug. However it does not permanently treat erection problems.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
LEVITRA oral pills are administered orally with a glass of water. 10 mg dosage is recommended; however dosage varies from 5 mg to 20 mg depending upon the condition, age and requirements of the patient. It should be administered 25 minutes prior to sexual activity. There should at least an interval of 24 hours between two doses of LEVITRA. Its action lasts for 10 hours. Always take the prescribed dose.
Chances of missed dose are not there because LEVITRA is used only on requirement basis.
Do not use LEVITRA more than the prescribed dose by the doctor. In case of over dosage, seek immediate medical attention.
Few serious side effects of Levitra which require immediate medical attention are:
1. Sudden hearing and/or vision loss
2. Priapism ( penis gets erected for more than 4 hours and erection is painful)
3. Memory loss for a short duration
4. Irregular heart rate
5. Pain in chest during sexual intercourse
6. Symptoms of an allergic reaction like itching, irritation, rashes, swelling and redness of the throat/neck/lips, difficulty in breathing.
Common side effects are flushing (warmth of face and neck), headache, abdominal upset, mild diarrhea, blocking of nose, light headedness, lethargy, and Blurred vision.
LEVITRA is strictly contraindicated in:
1. Males having allergy to verdenafil or any other PDE5 inhibitor like tadalafil, sildenafil
3. Children below 18 years of age.
4. Patients of heart disease using nitrates (nitroglycerine, isosorbide mononitrate)
5. Patients with history of heart attack, stroke, angina, blood cell disorders.
6. who have disease of eyes (retinal pigmentosa)
7. who have liver and/or kidney disease, stomach ulcers
8. Patients having any deformity of penis (peyronie’s disease).
Discuss your medical history with the doctor before taking LEVITRA.
1. Avoid grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice when using LEVITRA.
2. If you are on nitrate therapy, do not use LEVITRA; it can lower the blood pressure to a large extent. LEVITRA should be taken at least 48 hours after the last dose of Nitrates.
3. Avoid the use of LEVITRA with alcohol.
4. At once, stop taking LEVITRA if you have vision and/or hearing loss.
5. If you are not finding any benefit, do not alter the dose without any medical advice.
6. Two doses of LEVITRA should not be taken in a day.
Drugs or medicines are highly interactive with LEVITRA are:
1. Drugs used for angina or other heart disease like Nitrates (isosorbide dinitrate, nitroglycerine, isosorbide mono nitrate) and Nitrites (poppers).
2. Other Phosphodiesterase inhibitors or ED drugs like sildenafil, tadalafil.
3. Anti-ulcers (cimetidine)
4. HIV drugs (saquinavir, nevirapine)
5. Macrolide antibiotics (erythromycin, clarithromycin)
6. Barbiturates (phenobarbitone)
7. Azole antifungals (ketoconazole)
Some other drugs may also show interaction with LEVITRA. Always take advice from your doctor if you are using any prescription or non-prescription medicaments with LEVITRA.
LEVITRA should be placed in a dry place at room temperature (15 to 30 degree Celsius). Make sure it is placed out of the reach of children and pets